Parallels: Resize XP partition
I just installed Microsoft Office on my guest XP instance and it sucked up all of the available hard disk. Here's how I was able to resize my XP virtual disk used by Parallels...
- In OSX, copy the HDD drive image file and rename.
- Use Image Tools to resize the original HDD file.
- Change your VM profile to boot off of the copied HDD image.
- Add the original, resized image as a second hard disk.
- Boot the vm.
- Open CMD prompt and run DISKPART. This utility should be installed if you are running XP SP2.
- View volumes in DISKPART with the command list volume. Note which volume is your original, resized partition. The original volume is not the system volume.
- Select that partition using the DISKPART command select volume # where # is the partition number.
- Enter the command extend. This will make windows recognize the extended amount.
- Enter the command exit
- Exit Windows and change the VM profile to once again boot from the original, resized image file.
At this point you can delete the copied hdd image file.